Saturday, March 17, 2007

Train hopping

Today we went on a field trip with my son's preschool class. The trip involved riding the train up north for 20 mins then walking to a park to play and have lunch and then return home on the train. Both my boys were so excited especially my oldest. He could not wait to leave the house to head for the train station. As soon as we arrived at the station a large double deck train flew on by. It scared my oldest. Actually it was a little frighening for me too. Boy do those trains fly...this one wasn't stopping at our station so it came and went and it was fast. It took a little while to get him to move closer to the platform as he preferred to wait it out behind the ticket machine. Once the class was assembled and our train arrived we had to be quick about getting on. Carrying my toddler, dragging my umbrella stroller, wearing a backpack and trying to help my older boy on the train...and quickly...wow...that was some feat!! Once on...my older son headed up the narrowest circular steps to the top level. He was following a classmate. Amazingly with the train moving and not realizing I could stow my stroller down below...still carrying my toddler I went up the stairs with umbrella stoller in tow. My Macclaren rocks. Who knew a stroller could be carried in such tight spaces. Both boys enjoyed looking out the train and watching the world fly by. I too could get use to the commuter life of a train passenger. As long as it didn't involve 20 preschool age children and their younger siblings too. No resting allowed. All the kids had a great time. We got off and went to see a puppet show at a grocery store...yes a grocery store. The battery operated veggies, cow and grocer put on a singing show with the push of a button. The children were in awe and we watched it twice. Off to the park for a leisurely day of lunch and play and then by 1:06pm we were in line at the station waiting for the train. My preschooler is so funny...the train is all he talked about, in awe really. But as soon as we were back at the station he stood behind the garbage can. All the other parents were trying to impress upon their young children the danger of crossing the yellow line on the platform and I was worried when time came I wouldn't be able to get mine over that yellow line. However when the train arrived and holding tightly to my hand we boarded the train all the while my younger child was making very realistic but very loud choo choo whistles in my ear. My preschooler loved riding the train..but as he mentioned on the way home he didn't like the outside of the train..it was too loud and too big. It was a fun day...a tiring day with all the sun and the exitement..but a fun day. We will have to do that trip again...maybe next time we will bring daddy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disneyland--Feb 2008

BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.